June 8, 2009

Why are you so busy?

People always remark how busy I am. After I watched this today it made me wonder if I am one of those people who are addicted to being busy.

What keeps me busy?

1. Work – current and future projects.
2. Coaching athletes – its far more time consuming than you think.
3. Urban Ninja – this site is time consuming.
4. Relationships – nuff said. relationships, with humans, requires time.

What have I done to cut down on commitments to time and energy?

1. Kept my projects down to a bare minimum. I used to have 6 ideas I was working on. I currently have 2.
2. Reduce social media time. Are you addicted to Facebook? Do you wake up and look at twitter (to see what other people are doing) before tending to the amazing person lying next to you?
3. Reduce mental junk by planning properly.

Am I addicted to being busy?

Not at all. In fact, I am working hard so that I can be permanently unbusy once I have children so that I can be a full time dad. That’s the most honorable job I can think of doing, so that’s what gets me up in the morning.

Can you sit, and be quiet? I know many people who cant sit in a restaurant waiting for 10minutes for someone to arrive without tweeting, facebooking, checking email, sending 3 sms’s and calling someone. Unless all these things don’t relate to your BIG THING, big picture and hugest ever goal achievement, maybe you should be sitting for 10 minutes and just be totally amazed at how the world doesn’t fall apart around you every day. Watch the people and realise they each have their own world going on around them, and if they are addicted to being busy, watch them and see how it destroys their inner peace, their reason for being a beautiful human being and blurs their reality.

So, are you addicted?

6 Comments on “Why are you so busy?

justB[coz]
June 8, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Awesome post.

“I am working hard so that I can be permanently unbusy once I have children so that I can be a full time dad.”

Respect.

David Perel
June 8, 2009 at 2:59 pm

I think it depends on my mental state.

I love being busy but I also love being lazy. It depends on my drive/ambitions.

As always niaace post Raoul.

blade
June 8, 2009 at 3:07 pm

@Perel humans are quite state dependent actually. if you go through a lazy patch takes some effort to break out of that and vice versa.
I agree with You Raoul on the point of mental Junk.
I have a tendency of flooding myself with ideas and shit to do so much so that I don’t get much done.
I use priority rating on my tasks now…i also break down my Ideas into “pieces I can do within 1 hour” if I cant manage it within 1 hour..i break down further.
this seems to be working.

I seem to be spending more time “closing” on things that are most and more important.

paul kaye
June 8, 2009 at 7:53 pm

sweet Raoul, all great questions and observations…often we’re busy as a distraction, distracting ourselves from chasing our dreams, giving us an excuse to not chase the dreams. I can gladly say that I’m busy focussing on the things that will make my dreams both small and large come true, at least give me a fighting chance at achieving some of those dreams. Luckily, I’m living a dream every day.

Urban Ninja
June 9, 2009 at 9:31 am

To all of you,

thanks for the comments. I agree with all of you. The important thing is to be busy with your big picture, and stick to that. Anything that distracts from your potential greatness, that’s a waste of time.

You are all great people, I know most of you in person, and the rest I hope to meet soon.

Raoul