October 10, 2010

A day in the lavafields

medal

Thought to get a quick post up about the toughest day, for me, but also one of the best ever.

The 9:37 you will see on the scoreboard tells so little. Thankfully, the Garmin’s tell a whole different one. The Garmins, which don’t measure time spent next to the side of the road, waiting for an irate draft marshal to calm down giving me a 6 minute penalty for almost falling off my bike in the crosswinds, will also show you the 12 odd minutes I spent in 4 toilet stops on the run. They total a 9:14 with my fastest run ever (3:14) and a 4:59 ride. They do not, however, show you the 3-4 minutes I spent waiting for my special needs bag to arrive on the bike.

I wish they could show the emotional hell I went through in km 115-155 on the bike, where I had to face my biggest competitor yet – myself. Gosh, those were dark times, but I came through with a smile.

Really though, the day was amazing and the body performed well under stressful conditions (45 degrees ambient heat on the bike) and crazy winds, fighting a temperamental stomach which had too much sugar in it.

The biggest congrats for the day goes out to Ray Tissink, who silenced every critic he has ever had. You rock, Ray. I will attempt to put the words together tomorrow, but really, this is Ironman and no words will ever describe the day I had. The frustration, the elation, the euphoria of coming through the bad patches and the reality that history will show I had an off day today. Thankfully I know better and I am smiling ear to ear because I dominated every doubt and fear I had out there today.

Congrats to Macca and Rinny for their amazing performances today. They are true champions.

Raoul

15 Comments on “A day in the lavafields

Brad Brown
October 10, 2010 at 9:40 am

Well done mate, as frustrated as you are now know that as a South African I am extremly proud of you flying our flag. Coming from the supreme athelete that I am (ha ha ha), I learn more on races that dont go according to plan than those that do. You will come out of this experience stronger and better for it. Looking forward to following your next journey.

ian
October 10, 2010 at 10:29 am

well done raoul, sounds quite a story, please write a long version when you are recovered, want to hear all the gory details. Well done again. Good day for SA!

quinton walker
October 10, 2010 at 10:56 am

Awesome stuff dude. A true champion. Real tough gritty stuff.have a good recovery. Rock on

liezel vd Westhuizen
October 10, 2010 at 12:31 pm

I’m reading this on my way back to CT from the BSG Energade triathlon in PTA. I am in tears, reading about your amazing achievement. Raoul, well done for flying the flag, well done for conquering the worlds toughest one day endurance event. When you get back to CT, I’m taking you out for a celebratory dinner of Tequila and junk food! Well done!

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Raoul de Jongh, Liezel vd Westhuizen. Liezel vd Westhuizen said: Proud of u! RT @raouldejongh: http://bit.ly/aXLQtm a quick update for everyone. @duaneviljoen @liezelv … http://tmi.me/27pw5 […]

Graham
October 10, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Well done everyone who completed the course but a special well done to you and Raymond – you both did SA proud out there! Thanks for the inspiration and proving that SA can compete with the best.

Mat Blake
October 10, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Nice one dude, sorry to hear about the mishaps but well done nonetheless, impressive that you were able to push through and remain positive about the experience.

Nic
October 10, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Raoul, you are an inspiration and a champion, my friend. Well done! Remember, it’s not about the destination. And your journey on this road is an amazing reflection of your character. Thank you for letting so many of us ride alongside you… your humble experiences from the leading edge of the sport are as close as we’ll ever get. Can’t wait for my Urban Ninja cap when you’re back. Now chill!

Ronel
October 11, 2010 at 7:38 am

There are no words to say how unbelievably proud of you, son. We wish we could have been on Kona with you. Well done! You are a true hero & role model. Rest up & gather strenghth for Maui. Look after those feet! You rock!

Rob
October 11, 2010 at 7:56 am

Great work Raoul, all the hard work and the effort pays off and we are all very proud of you. Enjoy the well deserved break.

Lisette
October 11, 2010 at 9:49 am

OK, now that I have howled my eyes out reading this ………………………….YOU TOTALLY ROCK …….. YOU AMAZING AWESOME PERSON THAT WE ALL LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob
October 11, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Well done Raoul! You are an champion.

So many things have to work together in perfect harmony during an Ironman race at your level to achieve the result you are after. Statistically it cant all come together 100% every time but just getting there and finishing in 9:37 is incredible. You should be very proud of an amazing achievement.

Now go and have a Supersize Big Mac with extra fries.

Giselle
October 11, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Hey Skattebol
Ek drink beslis n glasie fraanse borrels net vir jou 😉 Moerse trots op jou!! Jy verdien dit! xx

Fraser McHenry
October 12, 2010 at 8:44 am

Well done you Ninja….
You did us proud, can’t wait to get the full story for G-Tribe…
Rest up, enjoy the Islands…

Chris
July 6, 2011 at 5:13 am

Stands back from the keyboard in ammaezent! Thanks!